Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Irrational Attachment?

Uh-oh. I was wondering how long into my turnaround project it would be before I ran head-on into this as one possible explanation for my embarassing situation:

Consider the irrational attachment to New York City that would prompt a family of four to live in a one-bedroom apartment, for example. We left reluctantly, viewed it as a sacrifice for the kids, and predicted living in the suburbs would make us unhappy. Strangely, it turned out to be quite the opposite.

(Courtesy of FMF).

It's not like I hadn't thought of this before. I do wonder if I'm spending too much of life's energy to live here in LA because of the fear that "other places" will make me unhappy. I wonder if simplifying will lead to a stronger, more secure existence. I've already touched on big gaping hole that sits between Los Angeles wages and Los Angeles cost of living. And I'm well aware that I could take a job in St. Louis and quadruple my standard of living. So why am I still here? The quick answer is that frankly, suburbs scare the living daylights out of me.


2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that I'd be all that excited about moving to St. Louis (from Seattle), but it's not exactly a suburb. What would you miss about LA (specifically)?

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger prosperette said...

Oh I'd probably miss the weather, ocean and mountains most. We did a stint in the midwest for a spell, and the people were the nicest I'd ever met. But after six months of grey skies and cold air, we found ourselves (unintentionally) in a depressed state of mind. It wasn't culture shock in terms of people to meet and things to do -- it was culture shock in terms of what we were used to being able to do, i.e., be outdoors comfortably most of the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home